Tornado Relief Resources

A Message From Congressman Comer

On Friday, December 10, Kentucky’s 1st Congressional District fell victim to devastating tornadoes that created heartbreaking losses of life, homes, and communities. As search-and-rescue operations continue and we begin to rebuild, I wanted to provide some resources to help constituents navigate the emergency storm assistance available to them.

Rural Kentucky is a special place full of selfless, caring people who care for their friends and neighbors in times of need. And after touring the damage in recent days, it’s clear to me that our district’s needs have never been greater. As our recovery begins, I’m confident we will pull together and overcome the challenges facing western and south central Kentucky. My office is here to help with whatever needs are facing Kentuckians.


Congressman James Comer

Washington, D.C. Office: 202-225-3115

Tompkinsville, KY Office: 270-487-9509

Assistance from FEMA

The White House has approved a major disaster declaration for 16 Kentucky counties, making us eligible for federal aid programs designed to cover basic needs not covered by private insurance. This can include rental payments for temporary housing, home repairs, low-interest loans for losses not fully covered by insurance, counseling, and other items.

  • Residents of Barren, Caldwell, Christian, Fulton, Graves, Hart, Hickman, Hopkins, Logan, Lyon, Marion, Marshall, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Taylor, and Warren Counties have until Monday, March 14, 2022 to apply for assistance.

How to apply for disaster assistance with FEMA (choose one):

  • Apply online at; or
  • Call FEMA at 1-800-621-3362; or
  • Visit SBA's Business Recovery Centers Monday through Friday from 8 am CT-5 pm CT for additional in-person support available for FEMA aid, small business loans, and more. These facilities will close on April 29th.
    • Hopkins County: Hopkins County Emergency Management, 130 N. Franklin St., Madisonville, KY 42431
    • Graves County: Trace Creek Baptist Church, 3577 KY-131. Mayfield, KY 42066
    • Marshall County: Joe Creason Community Center, 1600 Park Avenue. Benton, KY 42025

Some helpful tips when applying for aid:

  • Take pictures of your damaged property
  • File a claim with your insurance company first, if applicable. FEMA cannot duplicate coverage, and there is a maximum award of $37,500.
  • Have the following items available:
    • Insurance information, if applicable
    • Social Security Number
    • Phone Number
    • Residential address
    • Accessible physical or electronic mailing address
    • Bank Account number and bank routing number

FEMA Disaster Assistance teams are now traveling around the affected counties helping register households for individual assistance. If you report that you cannot, or may not be able to, safely live in your home, FEMA may need to perform an inspection of the damaged dwelling. They will have identification and will never ask for payment to register.

Small Business Assistance

Businesses in the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) declared disaster areas can visit to apply for funding under SBA declaration #17286 to cover losses not covered by private insurance or FEMA disaster relief.

Small businesses in the following counties are eligible for both Physical and Economic Injury Disaster Loans from the US Small Business Administration: Caldwell, Christian, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Hopkins, Logan, Lyon, Marshall, Muhlenberg, Ohio, and Taylor Counties. 

Small businesses and most private nonprofit organizations in the following adjacent counties are eligible to apply only for SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans: Adair, Allen, Calloway, Carlisle, Casey, Christian, Crittenden, Hickman, Livingston, Logan, Lyon, Marion, McCracken, McLean, Metcalfe, Ohio, Simpson, Todd, Trigg, and Webster Counties.

These programs include:

For more information, visit the SBA’s webpage on Low-Interest Disaster Loans. Businesses and individuals may also obtain SBA information and loan applications by calling the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955.

The filing deadline to return SBA applications for physical property damage is March 14, 2022. The deadline to return SBA economic injury applications is September 12, 2022.

Rental Assistance

FEMA Individual Assistance is available to renters (up to $40,000), including students, as well as homeowners. Federal grants can help pay for temporary housing. The initial rental grant is for a one- or two-month period and can be reviewed for further assistance. 

Renters may also qualify for a grant under FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance program for uninsured essential personal property losses and other disaster-related expenses, including:

  • Replacement or repair of necessary personal property such as furniture, appliances, clothing, textbooks or school supplies.
  • Replacement or repair of tools and other job-related equipment required by the self-employed.
  • Primary vehicles.
  • Uninsured or out-of-pocket medical; dental; childcare; moving and storage expenses.

Farm Assistance

For questions about available agricultural assistance, reach out to your local USDA service center: or call 877-508-8364. Some examples of disaster programs that disaster victims may be eligible for are below.

For livestock killed by adverse weather:

  • Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) provides a cost share to livestock producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather or by attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government. Learn more about LIP. 

For livestock, honeybee or fish producers who had had losses due to adverse weather:

  • Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish (ELAP) provides emergency assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish for losses due to disease (including cattle tick fever), adverse weather, or other conditions, such as blizzards and wildfires, not covered by LFP and LIP. Learn more about ELAP.

FSA Emergency Loans - can be used to replace essential property, reorganize the family farming operations, etc.:

Noninsured Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)

  • Pays covered producers of covered uninsurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur due to natural disasters (includes native grass for grazing). Eligible producers must have purchased NAP coverage for the current crop year. Learn more about NAP.

State and Federal Tax Deadlines Extended

Delayed Deadline to File Taxes: Kentuckians in counties that have been included in FEMA’s major disaster declaration now have until May 16, 2022 to file state and federal tax returns and submit other tax payments.

If you have any further questions about filing tax returns during a disaster, please visit the IRS website for FAQs for Disaster Victims.

Helping Those In Need

Click HERE for more information about how the Commonwealth is helping victims of the tornadoes with Team Western Kentucky Tornado Relief.

Click HERE to get in touch with Kentucky Emergency Management regarding volunteering to help fellow Kentuckians affected by tornados.

More Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to register with FEMA to get help? Yes, with very few exceptions, if you want federal assistance you must register with FEMA, either by telephone (1-800-621-3362) or online ( You will need your FEMA registration number for future reference.

What is the difference between FEMA and the SBA? FEMA coordinates the Federal Government’s role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters. SBA, on the other hand, is the Federal Government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses, and non-profit organizations repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery and equipment, inventory, and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster. These disaster loans cover uninsured and uncompensated losses and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For information about SBA programs, applicants may call 1-800-659-2955 (TTY 1-800-877-8339). ?

Where can I find updated information from FEMA? For a three-step Disaster Assistance Process and recent news on disaster response and recovery, please visit